- Attractions Italy
- Attractions Sardinia autonomous region
- Attractions Cagliari province
- Attractions Cagliari сommune
- Attractions Cagliari
Siamese Art Museum, Cagliari
The Siamese Art Museum in Cagliari is dedicated to Asian cultures. It is located on the territory of the historical ensemble Citadel of Museums. The largest number of art works of ancient Thailand makes the museum the most famous in Europe among similar ones. Also here there are things from China, Japan and India. Among them, there are sculptures, silver, porcelain, weapons dating to between the 14th and 19th centuries.
The Siamese Art Museum exists thanks to Stefano Cardu, the native of Cagliari, who lived in the East for about 20 years and was the architect in Thailand and collected an invaluable collection of artifacts. Objects that he manages to accumulate, he brought to Cagliari and in 1014 gave them to the city. For the first time the exhibits became available to visitors in the City Gallery of Art in the late 1980s, and then the collection was moved to the Citadel of Museums. The exhibition is being enriched in our time. Recently a large group of Burmese sculptures was added to the collection.
Exhibits of the Siamese Art Museum
The Siamese Art Museum in Cagliari is a collection of art works of Asian cultures. Here you will see the following exhibits:
- Chinese porcelain from the Ming Dynasty and vases of the Qin Dynasty, which are the real masterpieces of exquisite art and were executed at a high technical level.
- Products of silver and ivory of Japanese masters, as well as bronze, paper and porcelain from China and Siam.
- Wooden statues and sculptures, household items of various eastern regions and eras.
- Religious artifacts from wood and silver, wooden sculptures from temples, Chinese figurines from bone, Japanese netsuke.
- Collection of Oriental weapons from Malaysia.
- Indian drawings to the Ramayana, ancient scrolls on astrology, Ayurvedic medicine and ceremonies.
- Rare coins, mostly of Siamese origin.
How to get there
You can get to the Siamese Art Museum for free on a tourist bus that runs along museum routes.
Opening hours: the museum is open for visits daily from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 16:00 to 20:00, except on Monday. During winter time the museum works until 18:00.